Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Last Supper and Chemo 1A


Since I’m not supposed to eat raw meat during chemo (due to risk of infection) the guys and I went to Sushi California in Coquitlam for my final sushi meal.  Sushi Cal has the best spicy tuna sashimi I have ever eaten (and I have tried it at over 40 sushi restaurants in the GVRD).  Julio the Judas did not show up so he will have his legs beaten next week.
Spicy Tuna Sashimi :)

My first chemo treatment was yesterday and went smoothly.  The chemo ward is on the top (6th) floor of the BCCA; the south side view of Vancouver is excellent.

Infusion started at about 9:15AM after I took my oral antiemetics (12mg Dexamethasone and 8mg Ondansetron).  Accessing my portacath was slightly more uncomfortable than a normal needle poke but was much more comfortable than a peripheral IV once the needle was in.  

The IV drugs started with the ‘Red Devil’ Adriamycin.  Some people can taste this drug (apparently it tastes metallic) and it often causes them to hate drinking red drinks.  I felt a bit of warmth in the back of my throat with a hint of taste but nothing significant; I sucked on a lifesaver, which easily overwhelmed this taste.  Adriamycin also turned my urine red; this could have been disconcerting but I expected it.  Next up were Vinblastine, Hydrocortisone (a steroid to help with nausea and appetite), and Bleomycin (the bastard that can cause lung damage).  Finally we finished with Dacarbzine, and while it is a clear liquid, it comes out in a dark brownish green bag to protect it from light.  We finished with the trial drug SGN-35 (Brentuximab Vedotin).  Infusion finished at 12:35PM but I was not yet free to go.  They needed to keep me for an hour to ensure I did not explode from the SGN-35.  Once freed from the chemo ward I had to hang around the BCCA for 3 more hours to give blood at 2:35PM and 4:35PM.  Luckily I PVR’d the Canucks game so I didn’t miss any of the game.  For more details on the drugs see my Previous Post on the subject.
Post chemo I felt mostly normal; I was tired and wanted to go home but other than that I was fine.  I even went to the gym and managed to get about 30 minutes of cardio in.  In the evening I ate normally without issue.  I did have a lot of trouble sleeping.  Despite being very tired I didn’t not get to sleep until about 4:00AM and was awake by 8:00AM; this is a common issue with large doses of corticosteroids.
The day after chemo (today) I have felt pretty good although I have been fairly tired.  This is probably due to the lack of sleep.  My taste is also off: water tastes terrible which is annoying since I am  used to drinking about 8L (2 gallons) per day.  I have been drinking Gatorade 20 (basically diet Gatorade). Fruit does not taste as sweet as normal and ginger ale tastes ‘off’.  The lymphadenopathy (inflammation of the lymph nodes) in my neck and left armpit is greatly reduced especially on the right side of my neck where the tumor was getting very large (about 8cm x 5cm and very thick).   Hopefully I’ll actually be able to button up a shirt now. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been diagnosed with leukemia in 2021 and now I’m doing the Red Devils. Till now I’ve done 6 months of chemo , but nothing is going well so we will do another 2 months of red chemo. Greetings from Anna. Italy

    ReplyDelete